Degree Works FAQ

General FAQ

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion any time. It is designed to enhance the academic advising process and is not intended to replace face-to-face meetings with your academic advisor. The "What If" function allows you to hypothetically change your degree, major, minor or concentration to show you what coursework is required, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements and what courses are still left for you to take.

Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

Yes. Access to Degree Works is located under the Student & Financial Aid link of your EdNet account. Anywhere you can log into your EdNet account you will have access to Degree Works.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. The only individuals that have access to your Degree Works information are you, your advisor and selected staff who will need access for the purpose of supporting your progress to completion of your academic degree.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (i.e. grade changes, dropping and adding of classes, course substitutions, etc.) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow. If your information isn't up-to-date it could be due to paperwork not being completed or an outstanding transcript for transfer work. Check with the Registrar's Office if your audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress and in academic history. It should be utilized as a resource in conjunction with the other resources you have access to through your EdNet account. Registration procedures have not changed with the addition of Degree Works.

Can I see a list of all the classes I've taken?

Yes. There are 3 dots at the top of the Worksheet.  Click the dots and you will see the Class History link where you will find a  list of courses (with grades) taken at GSU as well as transfer courses.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit and to discuss any exception to major, minor or concentration requirements.

My major is wrong, what should I do?

Complete a Change of Major Form found under Registrar Forms on the left, have it signed by your academic advisor, and return it to the Registrar's Office for processing.

My advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn't this information appear in my audit?

You should contact your advisor to resolve any substitution issue. Course Substitution Requests must be initiated by the academic advisor.  The final decision is made by the Provost. Once it has been approved the change will be put into your record and then the course substitution will appear on your audit.

The referenced media source is missing and needs to be re-embedded.
If all of the boxes are checked, does that mean I'm graduating?

Not necessarily. Once you have applied to graduate, the Certification Analyst in the Registrar's Office will perform a preliminary audit of your coursework prior to the add/drop period of your final semester and a final audit after all final grades have been submitted to determine if you are eligible to graduate. Missing requirements will be communicated to you through your campus email by the Certification Analyst.

How do I apply for graduation?

You need to apply for graduation by the published deadline in the academic calendar by completing an application for graduation through EdNet.  Additional information regarding graduation requirements, ceremonies, and processes may be found on the Graduation page.

Is my degree audit the same as my official GSU transcript?

No. Although both documents will show all coursework completed, they are arranged differently. Your GSU transcript is arranged by each semester and is the final and official documentation of your academic record at GSU.

I have some questions about Degree Works. Who can help me?

Email to ask your question(s). 

Audit FAQ

A Degree Works audit is a review of past and current coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding catalog requirements necessary to complete your degree. The audit is divided into block requirements such as Degree, General Education, and Major Requirements. Each block works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

Will I be able to view my entire course history?

Degree Works uses information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that you have completed/registered for/transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed. (Data is refreshed nightly). Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit. You should follow up with your academic advisor to ensure necessary paperwork has been completed.

Where can I find my major GPA?

Your major GPA is a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major requirements. This GPA will appear within the major block requirements of your audit.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your audit will outline for you courses still needed to meet degree, major, minor and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

I don't understand the Registration Checklist
What do the  legend symbols mean?
Green circle with check mark  = Complete
Red empty circle  = Not Complete
Blue circle, half filled  = complete except for classes in-progress
Yellow circle with exclamation point  = nearly complete - see advisor
Blue notepad with checkmark  = course is either a pre-requisite or requires a pre-requisite
(R)  = Repeated class, only shows when repeated grades are averaged into GPA 

If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e. @100:499), it means that you can take any 100-499 level course. If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e. ENGL@), it means you can take any course with that subject prefix.

I think the requirements for my major are wrong.

Look at the catalog term that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to our records this is the catalog that you are using to complete your degree. If you want to change your catalog year, you will need to make that request by processing a Change of Program Form.

I'm getting two degrees. Why can't I see my second degree?

You can access your second degree audit by using the Degree drop-down menu at the top of the screen.

Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?

There could be two reasons. First, the transfer course was determined not to be an equivalent course. Second, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Yes. Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Not Passed Block on your audit.

How do I print a copy of my audit?

Just press the "Printer" icon in the upper right hand corner of the Worksheet.

What does Elective Credits Allowed mean?

Some degree programs may require students to take elective credits in order to have enough overall hours to graduate. Elective Credits Allowed are those classes. Elective Credits Allowed may go up or down depending on how requirements share courses and what classes are taken.

For Elective Credits Allowed to work correctly, the curriculum record must be complete. A student with an undeclared major and/or minor will have a higher number of elective courses than a student who has declared a major and/or minor.

What if Elective Credits Allowed does not display on my audit?

Elective Credits Allowed will not display on the audit if the degree does not require electives or if the student has not yet taken at least one (1) elective course. Students should consult with their academic advisor and the GSU Catalog for specific information on the total number of Elective Credits Required and/or if the electives must be upper level courses.

Does the Electives Credits Not Allowed section mean that these credits are not being counted towards my degree?

Any course that exceeds the number of credits for Elective Credits Allowed or do not apply to any requirement, will appear in the Elective Credits Not Allowed section. Students should pay careful attention to this area, because courses that appear in this section can affect financial aid eligibility.

"What If" Audit FAQ

If I use the "What If" feature does this mean I have changed my major?

No. The "What If" function is for information purposes only. You will see the header "What If" Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on the "What If" scenario.

Can my advisor see my "What If" scenario?

Since "What If" scenarios are not stored on Degree Works, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a "What If" procedure together.

Can I view multiple "What If" scenarios on the same screen?

Yes, Degree Works will allow you to select multiple majors and minor combinations. Consult your catalog for approved degree/major/minor combinations.

Can I print a "What If" scenario?


Why am I receiving an error when I run a "What If" scenario?

The "What If" tool requires that you make a selection in the "Academic Year" field. Failure to select a year will result in an error.

I still need more help

GPA Calculator FAQ

What is the Graduation Calculator?

This can be used to give you a general view of what grades you will need to earn throughout your remaining credits in order to achieve your desired GPA.

What does the Term Calculator show?

The Term Calculator allows you to plug in your projected grades for your current courses and see how they impact your overall GPA.

For this calculator, you need to enter the estimated grades for each course as well as the number of credits for each course you are registered for.  If you are registered for a course that has a credit/no credit (CR/NC) final grade you will need to remove that course by utilizing the trash can icon on the right.

When is the Advice Calculator Helpful?

This can be used to determine specific grades needed to achieve a desired GPA. It is more specific than the graduation calculator.

Enter your desired GPA. If your calculator responds with an error message, it is impossible to reach the goal GPA without repeating coursework.

Is the calculated GPA guaranteed?

No. This is an estimate only.