Transcript Requests


Ordering Official Transcripts

Official transcripts are issued by the Registrar’s Office. A 鶹ýAV transcript will include all coursework completed with 鶹ýAV (undergraduate and graduate), all transfer work which was accepted and posted, and any credits awarded. Partial transcripts are not available. In addition, 鶹ýAV will not provide customers with copies of another institution’s transcript that we have on file. Those transcripts will need to be requested by that institution.  When sending an official transcript to another college or university, it will need to be sent directly from GSU to that institution. Most colleges or universities will not accept a transcript from the student themselves and will not consider the transcript to be official. 

We do not provide unofficial transcripts. These are available in a student's account if attendance was after June 1990. For students who attended prior to June 1990, please contact the Registrar's Office at (304) 462-6120 or for additional information. 

You must have all financial and academic obligations satisfied with 鶹ýAV for your request to be processed.

Transcript requests are processed in the order in which they are received. Please allow 1-3 business days for your request to be processed. On days the university is closed, requests submitted with the delivery option of mailed or hold for pickup will be processed when we the university is back in session. Requests submitted for electronic PDF transcripts will still be processed so long as there are no holds on the student's account. 

In the event a transcript is not received by the intended recipient, 鶹ýAV will resend a transcript to the same address at no charge 14 days after the order was placed and up to 30 days from the date the transcript was initially sent. Requests for transcripts to be resent before 14 days or after 30 days of the initial order, or to a different address will require a new order and additional payment.

Name Changes

If your name has changed since you were last enrolled and you wish to have your current name reflected on your transcript, you will need to complete and submit the Address/Name Change Request Form prior to placing your transcript request. A certified copy of a marriage license, court order, or divorce decree, or a copy of your current Driver's License or Social Security Card must accompany the form. You may email the form and documentation to You will be notified by email once the name change has been processed.

Ordering Transcripts Online

For the fastest service, 鶹ýAV has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the Web. Due to our automated ordering processing, once an order is placed, it cannot be cancelled. For assistance with the ordering process, you may contact the National Student Clearinghouse Customer Care Team directly at (703) 742-4200. They have assistants available to walk you through the process. A link to Step-by-Step instructions with screen shots are also available at the end of this section. 

The following two options are processed within 1 - 3 hours of submitting the request, 24/7. Once an electronic transcript has been sent, you will not be able to change the recipient's email address and a new order will be required. If requesting to have an electronic transcript sent to another college or university, be sure to request it to be emailed directly to that institution and not to yourself. An electronic transcript which has been forwarded from a student will typically not be accepted and will not be considered to be an official transcript.  

  • Electronic PDF
  • Electronic Transcript Exchange (ETX). This service enables you to send a transcript directly to either the Admissions Office or the Registrar's Office of an institution you choose, or to LSAC, AMCAS or NursingCAS. 
The following three options are processed during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Please allow 1-3 business days for processing.
  • Mail
  • Hold for Pickup
  • Express or FedEx: Cannot deliver to APO or PO Boxes. If only a APO/PO Box is provided, the transcript will be sent via regular USPS service and delivery will be delayed. The express charges will not be refunded.

Alumni and current students may access online transcript ordering by logging into their account and selecting National Student Clearinghouse from the main menu. Access to EdNet accounts remain active even after a student is no longer enrolled with 鶹ýAV. If you do not remember your EdNet login information, you may email our office at for assistance. 

For students who attended prior to June 1990 or do not know their EdNet login information, online ordering may be accessed by going directly to 

Step-by-step instructions with screen shots

Paper Transcript Request Form 

We will be unable to send an electronic PDF transcript with a paper transcript request form. If an electronic transcript is needed, the order must be placed online through either option listed above. For paper requests, the Transcript Request form will need to be completed, signed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office. The request will not be processed unless credit card information is included or you call 304-462-6120 and pay over the phone. MasterCard, Visa and Discover are excepted. If mailing, mail form to 鶹ýAV, Registrar’s Office, 200 High Street, Glenville, WV 26351. You may also fax the form to our office at (304) 462-8619 or scan and email the form to


Sending a Letter

You may write a letter to request an official transcript. We will be unable to send an electronic PDF transcript with a letter request. If an electronic transcript is needed, the order must be placed online through either option listed above. If submitting a letter request, the letter must include the following information:

  • First and last name (include any previous names if applicable)
  • GSU Student ID# or last four digits of the Social Security Number
  • Current mailing address
  • Daytime phone number and/or email address in case we have a question about your request
  • Approximate dates of attendance
  • Number of transcripts being requested
  • Names and complete addresses for all recipients
  • Type of service requested: regular processing, express/rush delivery or pickup
  • Student’s signature
  • Payment (credit card information or check/money order payable to 鶹ýAV)

The letter will need to be mailed to 鶹ýAV, Registrar’s Office, 200 High Street, Glenville, WV 26351.

Walk-In Service

Walk-in requests for official transcripts may be made at the Registrar’s Office in the Harry B. Heflin Administration Building Room 207. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. A request for an official transcript form must be completed and signed. The forms are available in the Registrar’s Office or you may submit a request online and select the option for pick-up. A valid picture ID will be required in order to pick up the transcript. Transcripts cannot be picked up by anyone other than the student unless the individual picking up the transcript is designated on the student's FERPA Release Form on file in the Registrar’s Office. A written and signed letter from the student may also accompany the transcript request authorizing the release of the transcript to a third party.


Transcript Fees (GSU)

Official transcript fee - $7.00

Mail/regular processing - $7.00. Requests are processed daily. Please allow 5-7 additional days for delivery by the United States Postal Service. Allow additional days for International addresses.

Mail/Express processing - $42.00. Requests must be received in our office by 11:00 am eastern time to guarantee same day delivery. Express transcript services cannot be delivered to Post Office or APO boxes.

Note: Additional processing fees are added to the above base charges by the National Student Clearinghouse when ordering transcripts online. Total amount of fees will be shown prior to submitting your order.

The Registrar’s Office accepts cash, check/ money orders made payable to 鶹ýAV, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover.

You may email the Registrar's Office if you have any questions or need assistance.